Ruche di Castagnole Monferrato is one of Piedmont’s newer DOCG titles, introduced during the extensive administrative revisions of 2010 and 2011. This followed the interest that was first piqued in 1987 when the Ruche grape, a relative obscurity until that point, was awarded a dedicated DOC among the Monferrato hills.
Ruche di Castagnole Monferrato wines must be made from at least 90% Ruche grapes; the remaining 10% is left open to any combination of Barbera and Brachetto. This produces a fragrant, slightly floral wine whose pale-red color belies its tannic profile and depth of flavor when well made. Notes of tart berries and sweet spices are also associated with the wines. This up-front style is complemented by tart acidity, which the grape variety is able to retain in all but the very hottest of growing seasons. The Ruche grape, which is also sometimes named Rouchet or Roche, is something of an enigma even in Piedmont. There are conflicting tales of how it arrived in the region’s vineyards: some say it is an indigenous vine, some believe it was brought there from France. Whatever the truth, Ruche vines have been grown and used to produce wine in Piedmont for hundreds of years, although the wines have only just begun to make their way outside the Monferrato area. At the dawn of the new millennium there were just 125 acres (50ha) of Ruche planted, making this one of the most exclusive wines made under any Italian wine title, DOC or DOCG.
At Mua now! Otherwise, you might have to to to that other Piedmont to get some:
Official sponsors: Chief Robot, Little Yellow Tow Truck and Loch Ness Monster. We will be closed December 24th and 25th, the 26th we’ll be closed for lunch but open for dinner, and we’ll be open New Years Eve and New Year’s Day. You can have a sleep-over hahaha!
Who you’ll see here.
Doesn’t this look crazy??? First Friday Nex is going to be a mini-pop up, with Chef John Mardikian cooking up Lasagne served with salad for $10 including tax. Avoid those crazy waits for food on FF, save some $, meet new people (social seating). Full bar, wine & beer of course!
Does this sign make us look fat? :)
UPDATE! We are open for lunch on Fridays only.
Bismarck | belvedere vodka, pür williams pear, lemon, basil
The Saint | michter’s rye, remy cognac, pür blood orange, carpano antica, 2 bitters
Tattoo not required!
Come spend your happy hour with us in the sun! We will be closed on the 4th. (at Mua Ranch ;).
And neighbor Clay from Bay Area Bikes rocks it!
Is steamy clam chowder not the perfect comfort food for chilly Spring days?
Min will fix you up at the bar, or soak up some sun in the Mua Mini Garden. Happy Hour at the bar and outside 4:30—6:30.
Weeknights until 11pm . Same full dinner menu you love, including our infamous Mua Burger. Great with Racer 5 on tap.
Dustin (aka Jus of the famous Jus’ Margarita) lounging upstairs with Candace, our favorite Moet Hennessy connection.